Methylene blue sources with contaminant testing
I've been getting frequent questions about methylene blue sources, and have only just learned about a good option (thanks to Tyler for the discovery). It's the only product I know that's easily available to consumers, has a Certificate of Analysis, and is USP-grade. It's called Blue Brain Boost (formerly known as Synapse Nutrition) Methylene Blue. It's now only available in liquid form, with a choice of unflavored or blueberry-flavored. I did not find the blueberry flavoring to do much to mask the unpleasant taste.
There is a certificate of analysis available showing that it meets the USP standard. It also explains the solvents used (methylene chloride, chloroform, trichloroethylene, and 1,4-dioxane). The residual solvents are minimal, but if anyone knows of a source with gentler solvents, please let me know in the comments.
They are based in the US, but ship internationally.
Update for 9/8/2016: Health Natura has a lower-concentration (100mcg/drop) product. I haven't yet received a certficate of analysis for it though.
Understanding methylene blue
- How it works, precautions, and dilution
- Methylene blue will likely have dangerous interactions with SSRI drugs. Some antihistamines may need to be avoided as well.
- Methylene blue appears to have a mild MAO-B inhibition effect, which suggests high-tyramine foods should be avoided.
- It's really hard to get off of the skin.
- For additional oxidative metabolic support, my favorite supplement company IdeaLabs has a product called Oxidal with caffeine and benzoic acid in addition to methylene blue.
- Several people suggest Kordon brand methylene blue that's designed for aquarium use. If you buy this, make sure to check the color of the product and the label: two people have reported receiving malachite green instead of methylene blue. Malachite green is probably toxic.
- When looking at "lab grade" methylene blue, be sure to check for a certificate of analysis, the lab grade standards can be more permissive than you'd expect.